The School of Science Honors Program offers students from any School of Science major the opportunity to build on the school's challenging curricula through deeper, more engaging learning experiences in the classroom, in the lab, and throughout campus.
Benefits to Joining the School of Science Honors Program
- Access to exceptionally challenging and enriching coursework
- Greater connections to the School of Science's community of scholars
- Membership in the IUPUI Honors College, including access to its facility (computer lab, study space), its advisors, and the Honors College Student Council*
- Honors notation on transcript upon successful completion of the program
- Specialized career and pre-professional workshops for Honors students
- Opportunity to live in the Honors House Residential Learning Community
*Note that Honors College facility access will be granted at the start of the Fall Semester following admission to the program.
Admission Application and Criteria
Admission to the Science Honors Program will now occur only once per year, following the end of the Spring term. To apply for admission to the School of Science Honors Program, you must
- Be currently enrolled at IUPUI
- Be enrolled in a School of Science major or eligible to certify into a School of Science major
- Have earned at least 15 credit hours in residence at IUPUI
- Have an IU Cumulative GPA of at least 3.50
- Have at least four academic terms remaining to complete your degree
- Complete the School of Science Honors Program application for Fall 2017 Admission, including a 500 word (maximum) answer to the question: "How will participation in the School of Science Honors Program help you achieve your academic or professional goals?"
- Next Application Deadline: 5:00 p.m., Monday, May 15, 2017.
NOTE: Current Honors College students who are enrolled in the School of Science are automatically included in the School of Science Honors Program
To graduate with Honors, students must
- Enroll in and earn at least 1 honors credit hour each semester after being admitted to the Honors Program (does not include Summer terms, maximum of 6 hours or two courses per semester)
- Earn 24 hours of honors credit (through honors-designated courses or courses in which honors contracts have been approved)
- Complete at least 12 honors credits in School of Science courses
- Maintain an IU Semester GPA and IU Cumulative GPA of at least 3.30
Students with questions about the Honors Program are encouraged to speak with their School of Science advisor or to email Diana Sims-Harris in the Dean's Office.
Science Honors Program Contact Information
Join Science Honors College
- Diana Sims-Harris, Director of Student Affairs, School of Science
- Joseph Thompson, Executive Director of Academic and Student Affairs, School of Science
- Jane Williams, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and Strategic Initiatives, School of Science