Open PositionsIUPUI Department of Physics administrative, faculty, and staff employment opportunities will be listed below when available
Student Services Representative/Secretary
This position will serve as the primary administrative secretary for the department.
The duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
* Supports Chair and Physics faculty by handling purchasing, scheduling, correspondence, record-keeping, and book orders.
* Distributing mail, directing office visitors to the appropriate departmental resources, maintaining office equipment, ordering office supplies, course scheduling/room scheduling, course evaluations, and key control.
* In addition, the Administrative Secretary assists the office manager by supervising student workers.
* Will take minutes at monthly faculty meetings, assist in faculty search and screen, and give course permissions for undergrads.
* Also supports the department's graduate program by processing applications, assisting in paperwork completion, coordinating information for international students with the Office of International Affairs, and ensuring Purdue and IUPUI standards are met.
* Will function as the liaison between the Physics Department, Graduate Office, Office of International Affairs, and Purdue Physics and Graduate offices.
* Will work closely with the Physics Graduate Program Director to guide and support graduate level Physics students throughout their course of study. Processes vendor information and disbursement vouchers for all non-employee travelers to the department (seminar guests, interview candidates, etc.), serve as contact for all incoming travelers before and during visit, coordinates and reserves airline flights and hotel stays; serve as travel arranger for faculty members, staff and grad students.
* Assist with department communications via posters, mail, email, the department website, and other means.
The successful candidate will have excellent communication skills; excellent organizational skills, time management, problem solving, and critical thinking skills. Be a dependable, resourceful, self-starter; team and customer-oriented professional. Should have positive phone and interpersonal skills to function in a dynamic, diverse work environment; demonstrate ability to meet deadlines while working with multiple distractions and work under stress at peak times in high volume environment. Ability to work independently and perform detailed work.
To apply, please go to https://hra.iupui.edu/
Note: This position will begin May 6, 2019.
Postdoctoral Researcher, Department of Physics
We are seeking a postdoctoral researcher to work on an NSF funded project to measure the gravitational constant (Big G). Since this is a collaborative proposal between Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI), Syracuse University and Humboldt State University, the successful candidate will be expected to effectively collaborate with a diverse group of faculty, undergraduate and graduate students, being able to lead students to perform their best. Occasional (once or twice a year) travel from IUPUI to the collaborating institutions will be needed. Career development support will be provided.
The candidate must have expertise in vibration and noise reduction techniques, and precision measurements and metrology. In addition, it is expected that the candidate will have knowledge of clean room techniques, computer programming and interfacing for data acquisition, and strong data analysis skills. Knowledge of FTIR, SEM, neutron scattering and optical metrology approaches are a plus.
A Ph.D. completed 5 or fewer years ago in Physics or directly related area is required. The starting salary will be very competitive and commensurate with the candidate's expertise. The benefit package provided by Indiana University is very attractive (http://hr.iu.edu/benefits). The position is for one year and renewable for up to two additional years.
Interested? Please send questions or your CV (with list of publications and 3 references) to: Prof. Ricardo Decca, firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed immediately and will be accepted until the position is filled.
IUPUI is an EEO/AA Employer, M/F/D. IUPUI is strongly committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity. The university actively encourages applications and nominations of women, persons of color, applicants with disabilities, and members of other under-represented groups.
This institution is also a provider of ADA services. Individuals who require a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in the application process should notify Jeanette Jefferson at (317) 274-0632.
Physics chair promotes dialogue to yield better teaching, improved learningAndrew Gavrin, Ph.D. Associate Professor and Chair